Monday, May 11, 2009

Less than a week to go!!

It's T-minus 6 days until the triathlon! Here's what I've been doing:

Friday: Rode my bike in my tri shorts and liked it a lot better than riding in running shorts. Right as I started my bike ride, I almost ran over a 4 FOOT LONG SNAKE!!!! I didn't even realize I had almost hit it until I passed it and then I had to stop and check it out. I think it was a garter (garden??) snake since it didn't have any rattles. I was going to pick it up and move it off the sidewalk but when I got close to it, it coiled up and looked like it was going to strike at me so I backed off and shoo'ed it away with my bike tire instead. I fininshed my bike ride, gluped down a power bar gel and set off on my run. I went running along Alamo (Alameda??) Creek Trail and it was gorgeous, aside from all the tiny flying bugs. Ick!

Saturday: Swam at Treasure Island Harbor. It was OK... the water wasn't too cold, but it sure wasn't warm either! The good news is that I didn't hit a bouy, mostly because there were no bouys to hit :) We swam for 30-40 min which for me was 2 laps around some boats. I'm getting better at putting my face into the cold water and breathing which really boosts my confidence. As I was swimming my second lap around the boats, I hit a stick in the water (not a big stick either...) and it kinda shook me up. I tried to get over it and just keep swimming but all of a sudden the water behind the turn around boat was HELLA warm and that just freaked me out too much. I couldn't swim past that point and through the warm water so I just turned around and swam back to shore. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't get over the fact that the water was suddenly 20 degrees warmer, it almost caused me to panic and stop swimming entirely! After we swam, we were supposed to run 3 1.5 mile loops (a total of 4.5 miles). I ran the first loop no problem, no shin pain and no gasping for breath. Unfortunatly, I had to stop and walk in the middle of the second loop because my stupid shin was hurting too much. Grr!!! At least the pain is in a different spot now, before it was hurting at the bottom of my shin but now it's hurting near the top instead. Stupid leg, just stop hurting!!!

Sunday: was supposed to be a bike and run, except we dropped off our bikes to be shipped to Honolulu on Saturday... go figure :) It was also Mother's Day so I didn't do any work outs, just hung out with the mom's in the AM and then went and painted all afternoon.

Today: is rest day. It's also the Honolulu social send-off party at the Tiki Lounge in Alameda. If there wasn't the social tonight I would probably swim.

This week is my taper week so my workouts should be real easy. I fly out to Honolulu on Friday and race on Saturday/Sunday :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make a donation today to help cure blood cancers and help me meet my fundraising goal at http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/honotri09/jlesko

No comments:

Post a Comment