Monday, February 8, 2010

Back on the blogging bandwagon...

Ok... I dropped the ball on my blogging for a while but now I have re-newed interest in it. Not only am I helping Alex train for his first ever triathlon, but I am also training for my first ever half iron distance race the will be coming up on June 12th in Boise ID!!!

Most recent notable events and milestones:
January 30th - Ran my first 10K race and placed third in my division. It was a trail run in the beautiful (and muddy!!!!!) Briones regional park. The views were breath-taking and I had a blast!! The event was hosted by Brazen Racing and they did a really great job. I can't wait to do the Wildcat race that they are organizing on April 24th. I haven't signed up yet and I havent decided if I want to do the 10K or the Half Marathon. I have to run a half marathon for the Boise 70.3 but thats not until June 12th, over a month after the Wildcat race... We'll see

February 6th - Alex did his first open (salt) water swim in SF Bay. It went as well as could be expected and definately better than his last open water swim at Shadow Cliffs. The water in the bay wasn't as cold as I thought it would be which was a pleasant surprise but definately just as salty and foul as I remember. There were no surfboards or kayaks so we didn't swim far (around the cigarette bouys) but rather just along the shore line and practiced doing mass starts into the waves. Poor Alex, as he was swimming along in the mass start, John (one of the other Winter participants) knocked off his goggles and they sank to the bottom of the ocean :( :( But luckily Nancy saw and ran to get him one of her spare pairs so he could keep swimming. He still needs to learn how to relax in the cold because he couldn't figure out how to breath into the ocean water. He would hold his breath for several strokes and then take his head completly out of the water, gasp for a bit, take a really big breath and then swim a few strokes and repeat... Lucky for him, HI has much warmer water. Not so lucky for me as the projected water temp in Boise is about 60 degrees (warmer than the bay, but you still need a wet suit)

So onwards with my training... I'm trying really hard to get up in the morning and work out before I have to go to work so that way, I have the option of going to the gym again after work, but I won't feel bad if I don't make it. So this morning I made good on my training plan (sorta...) I wanted to get up at 5 and spin for an hour (on my cool new trainer!!!) but when the alarm went off that little voice in my head started to reason with me: "If you get up now and start spinning at 530, you will be done at 630... that's 1/2 and hour before you need to be in the shower... So why don't you get up at 530 and spin from 6-7 and then you can sleep an extra half hour?" Stupid voice, but you got to admit I (?) had a point, and 30 extra min of sleep was sounding pretty good... So I did get out of bed at 530 and put of my gear, went down stairs for a light breakfast and to make some gatorade and then got on my bike just before 6. I started to spin but only made it to 630 before I was dead tired and decided to cool out. And of course the voice was there: "30 min is better than nothing... And besides, today is a rest day so why are you pushing yourself?" Because I was supposed to ride my bike for 2 hours yesterday and then run a short little bit but instead I went to the gym and swam ~2300m (which I was supposed to do on Friday...). Whatever, there is still tonight to make up for it. I'm planning on hitting the gym tonight for sure because I need to strength train...

In the future, I need to have a plan when I spin... maybe even write it down so I can see it and not let the voice in my head win. And I need to work on building my endurance when swimming in my wetsuit because I just get so darn tired...


Like what you have read so far? Please support my training and help find a cure for Leukemia and Lymphoma by donating today.

No comments:

Post a Comment