Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weekend workouts

Friday was supposed to be a swim, but so much got in the way, mostly alot of problems at work :(  I was thinking I wouldn't be able to get any work out in, but somehow, everything fell into place (no traffic coming home, dinner was already made) and I was able to spin for an hour after dinner.  That made me feel good :)

Saturday Alex and I got up at the ugly a** crack of dawn (6am) to go swimming in some scummy mud puddle they call Lake Lakewood in Walnut Creek (yes, Walnut Creek has a lake... I was thinking the same thing)  The water was chilly but not as cold as Shadow Cliffs, but it was super murky and you couldn't see a dang thing, not even your hands in front of your face... ugh.  The good news is that I didn't swim into a bouy (mostly cuz there were no bouys to hit) but the bad news is that I tried to swim into the kayak... Thanks Wayne for pushing me away and protecting my noggin!!

After the "open water" swim, we had a 40-60min run scheduled, but I also had pony club so we had to bounce so I could get back in time to ride.  Riding Roxy that day was a challenge!!  She was all over the place and high as a kite... I'm sure everyone was watching me with their hands over their eyes.  At one point I'm pretty sure I heard my instructor tell me to do something, but then she qualified it with "and don't fall off.."  Needless to say I was pretty tired after that lesson.

But I couldn't think too much about how tired I was because Al and I still had our run to complete...  I was aiming to run for 60 min, but Al could only afford 40 min so I took what I could get.  We ran out to Tasajarra Rd and then Al's shins started to bug out.  Bad news!! I hope he doesn't get shin splints because I know how awful they are and how they can derail training and the race.

Saturday was such a long day and I was spent at the end.  Bed has never felt so good :)

Today was supposed to be a captain's bike (100-120 min) and run (15 min), but Al and I decided we could better spend our time by sleeping in.  It was awesome, I can't even remember the last time I got to sleep in.  When we finally got up, we were slow to prepare for our bike ride - Al washed his car and I did my taxes (finally!!) but we got on the road around 3.  Since it was so late, there was no way we could have completed a 2 hour ride and our run before the sun set completely and it got too cold so we only rode for one hour.  I like riding with Al, but at the same time I don't because he can always out power me on the bike and frequently leaves me in the dust :(.  When we got back I quickly transitioned into my run shoes and Al got on his mountain bike and we set out for another jaunt down Johnston to Tasajarra... I know the run was only supposed to be 15 min, but I figured since I didn't bike as much as I should have, I would run more to make up for it.  I ran all the way to Tasajarra and back and it took me something like 36 min - slower than usual, but my running has been really sluggish lately and I don't know why.  Maybe I need to do some speed work or lacate threshold runs or something to get back to my "normal" running...

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, and I'm looking forward to it, but maybe I'll push my rest to Tuesday since I'm always so busy on that day.  Tomorrow is also the day we meet with our morgage broker to determine how much house we can afford :) :)  Big changes and big steps to our future :) :)

Like what you have read so far?  Please support my training and help find a cure for blood cancers by donating today

No comments:

Post a Comment