Friday, February 26, 2010

Recovery week turned into do nothing week :(

You know it's been a brutal week when you can't even remember what you did (or didn't) do two days ago.  Wednesday?  I have no idea what I did, but I'm pretty sure I didn't hit the gym... The combination of knowing that I have a bike trainer at home and Alex telling me we should go after dinner, not before led to tricking myself into not doing anything... at all, and now I (still) feel bad about it.  How am I supposed to train for this triathlon (and the half iron race too!!!!) if I keep finding excuses to get out of it?? It's not even that I don't want to train because I always feel bad when I don't do anything, but somehow time always gets away from me and before I know it, the day is over and I haven't done anything... soo frustrating!!

Yesterday there was no track workout, which was sad but I had a nice trail run at lunch instead.  The weather was perfect and the ground was slightly drier than on Monday (I guess I forgot to mention that I went for a trail run on Monday - It was hella muddy in one part so when I was coming back, I went a different way and almost ran into 2 cows. The cows were not impressed...) and there were even more cows this time.  Like a whole herd, and they were running across the path because some cowboy was trail riding his horse and the horse startled the cows...  I went with one of my co-workers who is trying to train for some Muddy Buddy run in So Cal later this summer and apparently he has never seen a cow before... Kinda funny, but also, kinda not.  And then he got lost on the way back, don't know how that happened, but when I got to the cattle gate, I didn't see him, so I waited a bit (he is a much slower runner and his endurance is kinda low) but he never showed up so I went looking for him.  Turns out he missed the turn off and was halfway up some hill in ankle-deep stinky mud.  It was pretty funny since he can be sort of a pretty boy.

After work I hit the gym, I was hoping to get in on the swim I screwed up Tuesday morning.  But when I got there, I wasn't much in the mood to swim so I thought I would do some strength and conditioning and then maybe a temp run and call it a day.  For my strength and condtitioning, I did 3 sets of 1 min plank, 10 push ups, 20 8lb medicine ball crunches, 10 8lb medicine ball obilique twists, and 5 exercise ball V-lifts (I don't know what to call them, but it's basically where you put the exercise ball between your ankles and lift your legs while raising your upper body in a crunch, then grab the ball with your hands, lower the ball above your head while also lowering your legs, but not resting on the ground, and then do the reverse by bringing the ball up and place between your ankles and lower your arms/legs.  Thats 1.  They are very hard to do I think, and I have a really hard time doing more than 5 in a row because after that my legs start to shake in a very uncontrolled way...)  After the strength and conditioning, I was hoping to do a tempo run but ALL the treadmills where full and there were people lined up to wait for an open one so I did the stairmaster instead... How very 80's of me, LOL.  I did it for 20 min and I thought that was forever!!

I must not have worked out very hard or done enough strength and condidtioning because I'm not sore at all today... I don't know if that is good or bad.  Today is scheduled to be a swim, I hope I can make it!!!  Tomorrow is an open water swim in Walnut Creek (of all places) and then a run but I also have Pony Club so I might have to re-schedule my run for later in the day.  I am really surprised how much I have grown to like running.... I used to hate it but now I love it.  I never would have guessed that would happen :)

Like what you have read so far?  Please support my training and help find a cure for Leukemia and Lymphoma by donating today

No comments:

Post a Comment