Monday, February 22, 2010

Waaay too busy this weekend

Let me preface this post by saying that I probably only spent 3 hours at home between Friday and Sunday night...

Friday Night:
After work, I had to hurry home to pack up my tri stuff for Saturday's big brick workout.  I needed my bike stuff - cycling shoes and shorts, the bike, helmet, gloves; my run stuff - shoes, shorts or capris, heart rate monitor, watch; the common stuff - socks, sports bra, shirt, long sleeve shirt; and the warm stuff, just in case I really did have to do the water stop - sweats, warm gloves and multiple jackets.  After rushing to pack everything we headed out to the west bay for the night - no workout today :(

Total time and home: maybe one hour

Saturday - Big Brick in Half Moon Bay:
Big brick workout today - and I got lucky in that Katrina agreed to take my water stop duties so I could bike and run!  Yay!!!!!  The distances didn't seem too bad: 15 mile bike, 3 mile run, repeat.  The weather was nice, overcast but not rainy and that kept us cool.  The bike portion was mostly flat, but there was a cross wind on the way out that somehow managed to turn into a head wind coming back and that was tough... As I was cycling back to the car, I realized that I didn't bring my tri shorts and so my options were change in the car into my run pants, or suck it up and run in my cycling "diaper".  In the end, I didn't want to be bothered with changing 4 times in as many hours so I ran in my cycling shorts.  Not so bad, but really not so great either... I think I got more chaffed running the shorts than I did when I was biking.

As far as nutrition, the unflavored Perpetuem by Hammer tastes like barf.  Seriously, it was awful.  Now I know that I absolutly must flavor it.  Alex says if I use the espresso Hammer gel it tastes OK so I'll do that next time...  Also, I didn't get enough energy, which I could have predicted because I only made 1 "one-hour" bottle and drank that over the entire 3.5 hour brick workout.  I was ok on both bike rides but then I bonked bad on the second run.  Lesson learned - next time I need to consume at least twice as much Perpetuem and definatly flavor it with something, anything.

After the brick, we came home and dumped the tri gear and packed up the bags and car with the next adventure - snowboarding :)

Total time at home: one hour

Sunday - snowboarding at the 'Wood:
Sunday was an awesome day to be on the slopes.  It was threatening to snow, but it held off until we stopped for lunch.  There was enough light that I could see the variations in the snow (which saved my knees) and the back bowls off Chair 6 were powdery and deep.  In a word, perfect.  We rode hard, carving up some (surprisingly) fresh pow, even after lunch.  But after lunch I was getting tired and ended up eatting it pretty good a couple of times, so we called it quits.  That, and it was 4 and the mountain was closing...

It took forever to get home - I think we left the mountain at 430 and we rolled in to home at 1030... a very long day indeed.  Went right to bed after that...

Total time (awake) at home: maybe 20 min...

Like what you have read so far? Please support my training and help find a cure for Leukemia and Lymphoma by donating today

No comments:

Post a Comment