Sunday, March 29, 2009

End of recovery week

Friday was supposed to be a bike on your own for 50 min but I didn't make it to the gym (big surprise...)

Saturday was a coached training in Alameda. Before the workout started there was a brief overview on what should be in your transition area (between swim/bike and bike/run) and then it was a flat tire clinic on how to change a flat on your back wheel. First they demonstrated it to us and then we all had to take our back wheel off, deflate the tire, take the tube out, put the tube back in, re-inflate the tire and then put it back on the bike. It was a really valuable clinic and I'm glad I went. Next time I'm in Walnut Creek, I need to go to Sports Basement and get:
  • spare tube(s)
  • T-bars (I think they are called tire bars)
  • CO2 canisters (to rapidly inflate my tire)
  • thingy that connects the CO2 canister to the valve stem
  • saddle bag that attaches under the seat to hold all this stuff
  • a 'Bento Box' - a little pouch that attaches to the frame near the handlebars to hold power gels and such
  • a new water bottle and water bottle holder because my bike is so crappy and so old, as I was riding over the streets of Alameda the stupid thing shook itself apart and my water bottle and water bottle holder fell off all over the street. TWICE!

The work out was a 'brick' work out. First we biked for ~3 miles and then we ran for 10 min (4 min run, 1 min walk x 2) and then we repeated it 3 more times for a total of 4 sets. The cool down was a 6 mile bike ride (2 of the ~3 mile loops).

I wish I had a road bike... Practically everyone has a road bike and they were zooming past me on the biking portion, making me very jealous :(

Today was a Captain's workout but I didn't go because I wanted to sleep in. It was a 40 min run and I figured that I could do that on my own. I didn't feel much like running this morning so it was very difficult for me to find my groove. I was running around in Burlingame up and down the hills and I was doing OK going out but I did have to take a walk break to get up one of the hills. By the time I got to the firestation I had found my groove and so I completed the rest of my run as perscribed.

My shin is doing OK, I probably should have iced it after my run but we had to get to the car dealership and I forgot to grab the ice before we left. Surprisingly my right hip is starting to bug me, I'll have to ask coach Mike or Paul about it next time I see them. Its in a place that is hard to stretch so I'm not really sure what to do...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make a donation today to help cure blood cancers and help me meet my fundraising goal at http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/honotri09/jlesko

1 comment:

  1. You let your followers know that we let you down by not getting on you before, I will try not to do it again. It has been four days since your last update...Are you still training? Update your blog! With love and support of course.

    ReplyDelete